Monday, May 23, 2011

Dominican Republic

I have to say that nothing makes you appreciate being an American more then when you visit a foreign country. Our trip overall was great with only a few minor hiccups and child meltdowns. Crystal flew with Katelynn, Denver, and I and I seriously don't think I would've made it with out her - she is the bestest! I'm pretty sure we made quite the site trying to get through the airports especially on day one trying to get to the airline check-in counter: 2 women, 2 kids, 3 check-in bags, 4 carry-ons. OMG! But, we did it!! We took two planes: one from BWI to Atlanta and then Atlanta to Punta Cana. We left the house around 4am and had a quick breakfast at BWI. We figured we'd be able to eat in Atlanta, but we made it to that plane just in time, so by the time we got to the resort we were all pretty hungry (of course none of us had our clocks right so we had to wait another 3 hours before dinner since the buffet was only open certain times and we didn't know about the snack bar on the beach just yet so talk about some grouchy, hungry people!).
The Dominican Republic was an interesting place and it reminded me a lot of Bahrain with how poverty stricken the countryside appeared. The hotel/resort was good - all inclusive! I will never travel again without having the "all inclusive" package. It made things so much simpler - I spent $7 total while at the resort (needed to get Katelynn an elephant intertube!). I didn't buy any souvenirs, I figured my photos would be good enough (I really can't get anymore magnets on my fridge!). The photos I have in the blog are from my camera. Everyone else was snapping away too, so I will probably do another blog of just photos when I get ahold of their pictures!
Here is our hotel
 Denver passed out on one of the beds
 Katelynn's bed
They provided a "crib" for Denver which turned out to be a pack-n-play, and the sofa turned into a bed that worked great for Katelynn. Although we had to place luggage in front of the door at night because on our first night there I woke up around midnight (someone set the time on our clock and accidentally turned on the alarm, I won't mention any names MOM!) and I saw Katelynn walking across the room (it was more of a run with a terror look on her face) - I never knew she sleep walked (we keep a child gate at her door at home), but I do now. I picked her up and put her back into bed and she just rolled over and continued sleeping. Scared the crap out of me. Needless to say I didn't sleep well while we were there.
We got up on Thursday to some beautiful weather! The sun was shining and it was in the 80's. The worst part about the weather in the Dominican Republic was the humidity. I don't even know why we bothered showering. I think I changed my clothes 3 times a day. We made it to the beach on Thursday and Katelynn loved it! She spent the afternoon with Pap-pap and Nana on the beach being spoiled. I didn't take any pictures on Thursday - I don't know why. I think I figured I'd have plenty of time.
On Friday everyone did a deep sea fishing trip so Mom stayed with me, Katelynn, and Denver. We did breakfast and then got ready to go to the pool, but as we headed out it started to downpour. You can tell by my pictures that the humidity was awful - it kept fogging up my lens.
 
 
 Denver chilling inside
 
 
 We headed to the pool when it turned to a drizzle. Denver relaxed under the umbrella with Mom
 and Katelynn and I got into the "kiddie" pool.
For dinner that night we got serenaded. They asked us if we wanted a love song, happy song, or Dominican Republic song - we said happy. Katelynn absolutely loved it!
 
 
 
 Barb and Travis
 Mom and Dad
Saturday was the "big day." The whole reason for the trip - Stew and Michaela's wedding (and it was beautiful!). The morning started off rainy again. Here I am at the hotel entrance with the kiddos.
We headed down to the beach to take some photos during one of the sunny moments. We were leaving the next morning and none of us took photos that first sunny day so we were running out of time for sunny beach photos!
My feet in the sand (those are my feet at the top of the post too). I told Barb and Crystal we can't leave without doing one of those feet with the ocean behind us shots...we should've done one with all of our feet together (darn!).
 Denver and me
Barb, Travis, and Katelynn (she wasn't taking her eyes off those waves)
 Dad
Travis and Katelynn
 Sunday morning in the lobby waiting on the bus to take us home.
 
 
The plane rides home went well. We got bumped to first class on the first flight and made it through passports and customs and to our second plane with 15 minutes to spare. We got back to my house around 11pm and Crystal made it home safely around midnight. It was a nice vacation, but it's so good to be home!
Here is a tease of the wedding photos. I'll do that blog another night.
 
 
You'll have to wait until the next blog to see the beautiful bride! He, he.

No comments:

Post a Comment