We took Denver to the pediatrician twice this week. We went on Monday to discuss our switching to soy (we started soy on Saturday) and our future options and then we went back on Thursday (after being on soy for 6 days) because soy was not working (I will take spit-up over a cranky, wailing baby any day).
The pediatrician said we should give a new formula up to two weeks before giving up, but if he was this cranky after 6 days I did not want to see him in two weeks, so I made another appointment. Chris told me I was over-reacting and I guess maybe I am but I really can't stand all this spit-up. He hasn't gotten nearly the amount of tummy time he should because he spits-up on his tummy, but of course he spits-up everywhere - on his back, inclined, holding him, in his snugli...and even though it looks like a lot of spit-up he's still gaining weight, but it still bugs me that he does it so often. We've tried less formula, more frequently; more formula, less often; feeding 2 oz, wait 5 min, 2 more oz, wait 5 min; we've tried not burping; we've tried lots of things, but it doesn't seem to matter which we do, he still spits-up.
It is just amazing the difference between two babies. Here is Katelynn at 14 weeks:
And Denver at 14 weeks:
On the Thursday appointment, Denver weighed in at 14 lbs, 13 oz. He definitely has no problems putting on weight. We put him back on the spit-up formula since he spits-up less on that one and we added Zantac (an infant liquid version) twice a day. The pediatrician said that there are very few, if any, side effects for infants on Zantac. I did some searching online and found that it's very common to prescribe Zantac, and that spit-up is actually very common for infants (Katelynn never spit-up so this is a whole new issue for us), and most babies outgrow it around their first year when they switch to cow's milk (I'm hoping this is true for Denver as well).
We have already noticed a difference in the amount he is spitting-up and his mood has greatly improved. He was SO happy to be back on the spit-up formula too - he really hated the soy (and personally it smelled terrible!). We go back to the pediatrician on the 26th for his 4 month check-up and shots and to follow-up on spit-up/Zantac trial. I will keep you posted on how it goes.
Here is a photo of Chris and Denver...probably one of their last until Chris comes safely back to us around mid-October.
No comments:
Post a Comment