Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 4, 5, and 6 in the NICU

Day 4 in the NICU:
The first "good" and stable day in NICU. Today they started dropping the oxygen levels on the ventilator. When Chris and I got to the hospital it was at 93% and they wanted to get it down to 70% by the end of the day. He was doing well and looked very alert. You could tell he was starting to feel better - he was constantly pulling and tugging on the tubes.
They still had him on the "billy" lights for jaundice when we first got there.

Then they decided to take the light away so that we could see him better.
It was great seeing him so awake and alert today. It's so sad to see him with all the tubes, but it's comforting to know that he is getting better. One of the best things that happened today - they actually allowed us to touch him!
First it was through the case:



Then they lifted the top!!!! We got our first photo of the 3 of us. As soon as he's ready to go home we'll be able to get one of our entire family.
Pulling on his tubes!


Day 4 was such a good day! Chris and I practically floated out of the hospital after being able to touch Denver.
Day 5 in the NICU:
Another "good" and stable day in the NICU. He was still on the "billy" lights when we got there, but since he was improving they decided to take it away. Chris got to keep the "batman" goggles...he want's to use them for Denver's Halloween costume this year! :)
Here he is when we first got there.
And when they took the "billy" light away.
They had to put a glove on him to help keep him away from his tubes. He was doing better again today. When we got there his oxygen level was down to 43%. They told us that if he keeps doing well that tomorrow they might be able to take him off of the ventilator! They said we won't be able to hold him or feed him until the tubes in his umbilical cord come out. They did allow us to touch him again today.
Day 6 in the NICU:
What a WONDERFUL day in the NICU for baby Denver!!! Chris and I had to go in separate today since Aunt Barby had to go back to work. I got to go and see Denver first. I was a little nervous since he had 2 good days in a row, and I was hoping that all had gone well over the night and that hopefully he'd be getting off the ventilator today. I was not at all prepared for what I saw when I walked around the corner - there was my little boy looking like a "normal" baby!!! No more tubes in his mouth or his umbilical cord!!!! He looked so peaceful. I started crying right away.

Inspecting his fingers...
Tasting his fingers...
A big cry. It was wonderful hearing his voice (remind me I said that in a few months when he won't stop crying)...
And the absolute, best part of today - I got to hold Denver!!!! I held him for almost an hour - he slept for most of the time. Then they put him back in the case so that I could pump which was funny because when they put him back in he was wide awake and looking around. But no worries because as soon as I was done pumping he was back in my arms and this time he was wide awake!


and looking right at me!
What a wonderful day! The nurse said that hopefully by this time next week he will be going home with us. As long as Denver continues to do well tonight then tomorrow they will try and feed him. With each and every passing day he gets stronger and stronger. Our little Denver is one big fighter!

No comments:

Post a Comment