Monday, March 16, 2009

Busy Days


What a crazy week it has been for the Gillen clan! Let's see where should we start?! Last weekend Katelynn started sneezing and coughing, on Sunday she was running a little fever so we took her to the doctor's office on Monday afternoon. Some days I think it's wonderful that the military takes care of everything for you, but other days it's I just don't know. Since the base provides a pediatrician we have to go to her, but that doesn't mean we have to like her. Let me tell you about our visit:
The doctor for babies on base is a "quack." Sorry, but she is. What a mess, she made my head hurt with the circles she was talking in. Telling us not to bring the baby in unless she has a fever greater then 100.9, but she was happy we did because she has an ear infection, which she's pretty sure that's what it is because the test result was abnormal, but a normal one shows up as abnormal sometimes but abnormal results are always abnormal - does your head hurt yet??! Then she told us to hold Katelynn practically upside down and put salt water up her nose and then suction it out (just don't raise her up before suctioning because she'll choke on it) - huh?? Ever hear of that one?? She also mentioned putting vinegar in her bath to prevent yeast infections - what yeast infection?? I thought she had a cold??? I was so confused...I'm still lost. We mentioned that Katelynn had a bloody nose on Thursday and we thought it might be due to the dry air, and she said that she wouldn't survive out here unless we had a pot of boiling water on her stove at all times and we should do the same. I told her we had a humidifier in her room and she said that would work as well. Then she just walked out and came back in the room about 10 minutes later and was like are you guys waiting on me?? We were like, um yeah, and she said oh well you just go down the hall to the pharmacy and they'll help you out. So anyway Katelynn is drinking an anti-biotic (it's pink) that's supposed to help with the supposed ear infection. What a weird appointment. She hasn't slept through the night since we put her on it. She still has a runny nose and she's sneezing and coughing. We've started using Little Noses to help with the blood since it's so dry out here, and we also bought a vaporizer to help her sleep at night. The poor little thing.

Then to top things off on Tuesday night Katelynn woke up at 2am, so I let the dogs out and fed her. I woke Chris up to let the dogs back in, well he fell down the stairs. I went down and he was sprawled out and couldn't move - his back was spassing...he didn't want me to call 911 because he could move (barely), so about an hour after his just rolling around grunting we got him into the Trailblazer and went to the ER. They gave him lots of drugs. We got home around 430am, and took a power-nap then we went into medical in the morning and they gave him a chit (basically means day off for you non-military folks) for that day and told him no PT until April 1. So since the drugs they gave him are pretty strong Katelynn and I have been driving him to and from work every day. As you can see in the below photo both Dad and baby are doing fine now.

On a more positive note it's been absolutely gorgeous here in Colorado! The weather was in the high 60's low 70's over the weekend. On Saturday we went into downtown Denver and saw about an hour and half of the St. Patrick's Day Parade. Katelynn did really well. We dressed her in a "Kiss Me I'm Irish" outfit with my jacket/hat from when I was a baby (since it was cool when we first arrived). Here are some photos for your viewing pleasure:







Kohl's had a really nice sale going on over the weekend so we bought Katelynn a few summer outfits to wear while visiting the Grandparents this June/July. The hanger on the following outfit said 6 months, but it's actually a 3 month - oops. Thankfully it's been in the 70's so it's perfect for right now! If I wouldn't have cut the tags off and washed it I would've returned it for a larger size - oopsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment